Thursday, April 8, 2010

So That's What Beef Tartare is

As predicted, we could not find the restaurant we passed on our walk, instead going into a crowded place in the Marais, not far from our hotel. Now, when I travel, I try to eat something new or order a dish I would not normally try in Amercia. Such was the case as I tried Beef Tartare tonight. We started with a tomato mozzerella salad that was dripping in delicious oil - so imagine my surprise when the raw beef arrived. My first thought was, oh, my friend M would not stand for this at all. It may be something they eat in France, but alas, I could not handle it. Thank God for the wine and the profiteroles. Those were worth everything else. My mother has never had that dessert and something tells me she'll be making them for Alfred. One thing is certain, my father would look at the main dish and say, "What the hell is this?"

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, James. I can't believe you've never had beef tartare!! It is one of my favories but I am not sure I would it in a foreign country. But after viewing Food Inc I don't think I'll be eating it in this country either!!

    I think sticking to the crepes and desserts is the best idea. I could "taste" the croissants as you were describing them earier. Mmmmm - my absolute favorite. Please try to smuggle a few back to the US ;-)

    ReplyDelete